Updated 6th January 2021
At James and Sons, we are following the government advice and taking precautions to prevent spread of the virus to our staff, clients, contractors, tenants and other stakeholders.
In order to minimise the risk to our staff and any potential business interruption, we have therefore changed some of our procedures and services. Considering the most recent government advice, we are operating as follows:
- Visitors to the office: visitors to the office by prior appointment only please.
- Responsive repairs. These will continue as far as possible, although non-urgent repairs may be delayed. We will work with contractors, tenants, clients and all stakeholders to ensure all reasonable steps are taken in accordance with government guidelines. Residents are politely reminded that social distancing also applies to any contractors who may be attending your site to complete essential or emergency services.
- Gas and electric safety tests: These will be instructed earlier to ensure enough opportunity for contractors to arrange appointments. If a tenant is in isolation, no access may be available for some weeks. We will arrange with contractors the earliest available opportunity to have tests carried out.
- Planned maintenance: all major works will continue as far as we are able.
- Property viewings. Being conducted in line with MHCLG Guidance, in particular:
- We will ask whether any party is showing symptoms or has been asked to self-isolate before going ahead with any viewing, or visits to offices.
- We will operate an appointment system for visits to our offices and when conducting viewings.
- We will not carry out any ‘open house’ viewings.
- We will strongly encourage clients to view properties virtually in the first instance and then only physically inspect properties which they have a strong interest in.
- We can accompany physical viewings and seek to maintain a minimum of 2 metres distance from others wherever possible.
- Face coverings are to be worn by all parties. We also request that the number of parties attending a viewing is kept to a minimum.
- Where we do not accompany the visit, we will make sure that both current occupiers and applicants clearly understand how the viewing should be conducted safely.
- We will not drive clients to appointments.
- All parties viewing a property should wash their hands with soap and water (or hand sanitiser if not available) immediately after entering the properties, with internal doors opened and surfaces having been wiped down before they enter. Separate towels or paper towels should be used if possible and washed or disposed of safely after use.
- We will do what we can to promote flexibility when arranging move dates, for example advising clients to ensure contracts have explicit terms to manage the timing risks presented by coronavirus.
- We will work with our clients and other agents to broker a new date to move where sales are due to complete and one of the parties falls ill with coronavirus or has to self-isolate.
- We will ensure that any keys are appropriately cleaned before handover.
We will be working hard to minimise any disruption to clients, but we ask for your patience and understanding at this time.
For more information and latest advice for the public, please visit https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public
Information specific to Businesses and Employers is at: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19
MHCLG Guidance regarding Estate Agency during the Coronavirus outbreak: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-advice-on-home-moving-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak
We would thank you in advance for your understanding and cooperation during this unprecedented period. Please do not hesitate to contact any of the team at James and Sons if you have any concerns or further queries regarding this.